News & Events
OCC and AmeriCU Announce Student-Focused Partnership Including New Financial Center on Campus
August 26, 2013
Onondaga Community College and AmeriCU Credit Union today announced a multi-faceted partnership that includes lasting and ongoing scholarship commitments, support of facilities that are highly valued by the campus and greater community, and banking services and educational programs not previously available on the Onondaga campus.
Under the terms of the partnership:
• AmeriCU will contribute to Onondaga’s Community Scholars student scholarship program.
• AmeriCU will contribute to Onondaga Enterprises Inc. to help fund auxiliary student services programs such as the College transit service, student athletics, health and wellness activities, and etcetera.
• AmeriCU will open and operate an office of its non-profit credit union on the Onondaga campus in the Whitney Applied Technology Center. The financial center will be staffed primarily by AmeriCU professionals. The partnership will include non-credit training and financial education opportunities for Onondaga students and other members of the campus community.
• AmeriCU will work with the College to develop an innovative internship program that allows Onondaga students to gain valuable professional experience and a certificate as an AmeriCU MSSII (Member Service Specialist II) while earning their degree from Onondaga Community College.
• ATMs will be placed in the Gordon Student Center, the SRC Arena and Events Center, and other mutually agreed upon campus locations.
“We are thrilled with this partnership, its focus on students and their success, and the many ways in which it will benefit the entire campus community,” said Onondaga President Dr. Casey Crabill. “AmeriCU’s commitment to educate students about financial literacy, along with its generous contributions to the Community Scholars program, will help ensure that more students, regardless of socio-economic status, are able to attain a college degree and the opportunities this affords. In AmeriCU the entire campus community is fortunate to have a partner who shares our values and beliefs.”
“AmeriCU Credit Union is very excited to partner with such a progressive institution to pioneer a unique program in financial education. AmeriCU’s new financial center on Onondaga’s campus is a fully functioning branch serving AmeriCU’s members; however, it also serves as a unique financial education lab and teaching center, in which Onondaga students selected for the “AmeriCU Scholars” program will intern with our experienced managers. In this supervised, hands-on environment, students will learn many real-world applications of finance. Through this program, students will earn a degree from Onondaga, certification as a Member Service Specialist from AmeriCU Credit Union, and will gain valuable employment experience that will be very advantageous as they begin their careers in financial services.” Joe Anderson, Chief Operating Officer, AmeriCU Credit Union.
Onondaga Community College is Central New York’s second largest undergraduate college with nearly 13,000 students. Onondaga is a two-year college operating under the State University of New York (SUNY) system, and is locally sponsored by Onondaga County. Located on a bustling 280-acre campus atop Onondaga Hill, the community’s college remains dedicated to serving the needs of students in ways that help them to explore, discover, and transform. Onondaga offers nearly 50 programs of study, bachelor and master’s degrees available on campus through a regional higher education center, and more than 80 transfer agreements with four-year colleges and universities. A 2013 report on “The Economic Contributions of Onondaga Community College” shows student enjoy an attractive 14.4% rate of return on their educational investment and recover all costs in 11 years, while state and local governments see an annual rate of return of 7.8% on their support for Onondaga. The College is home to the seven-time NJCAA national champion men’s lacrosse team and the two-time NJCAA national champion women’s lacrosse team. The men’s team won its fifth consecutive national title in 2013. The women last won the national title in 2012. Onondaga has fifteen intercollegiate men’s and women’s athletic teams.